Monday, August 9, 2010

Thou shall not swipe!


From this day, from this hour, from this minute, let us strive to love God above all,
and to fulfill His holy will!

St. Herman of Alaska

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the canonization of St. Herman of Alaska. My own personal link to St. Herman is that he was one of the first saints I really knew anything about. (thx to St. Andrew's Camp) My cousin and I used to sneak out of the girls dorm at night to swipe cookies from the camp's kitchen and sing his troparion all the way there and back to protect us from getting caught. Not so sure St. Herman appreciated that, but his troparion (that's a hymn for all you non-Orthodox Christians) served me well as a lullaby for my babies. A few years ago, my parish priest gave me vial of holy oil from the vigil lamp at his reliquary. It is something I treasure tremendously. I love you St. Herman, pray for us here in America!

Troparion (tone 4)

O blessed Father Herman of Alaska,
North star of Christ's holy Church,
The light of your holy life and great deeds
Guides those who follow the Orthodox way.
Together we lift high the Holy Cross
You planted firmly in America.
Let all behold and glorify Jesus Christ,
Singing his holy Resurrection.

Books on his life can be found at St. Herman Press.

No comments: