Saturday, December 26, 2020

A Missing Generation in Orthodox Christian America - Not coincidence, but providence


As I've aged there are a few things that I know to be absolutely true (aside from Orthodoxy, of course).  One of these things pertains to coincidences.  My conclusion is that they don't exist in their popular understanding. I mean, they happen of course, but it's not some random event with no connection to other things.  I can look back on things that were seemingly random but upon deeper consideration, were not at all arbitrary experiences but instead, providence. 

Unfortunately during this time in which I was fumbling my way around to the Church, I suffered two miscarriages, and as a result, blood work had to be done to see if there was something amiss.  So I go to the lab, have a seat and finally, after just a short while, my name is called and I walk back to the little station and nervously wait for the phlebotomist. After a few minutes she arrives and probably by looking at my anxious face, she starts making pleasant small talk.  As she's reaching for my arm to put that stretchy plastic band around it, I immediately notice the three-bar cross hanging around her neck.  For whatever reason I blurt out "Are you Orthodox?" to which she happily affirmed that she was and told me the name of her parish.  I then, again quite boldly, asked her "How's the priest?" This wonderful lady then began to gush about the kindness, sweetness and gentle-ness of the priest-monk who was the pastor of her church.  She finally asked me if I was Orthodox and I answered that I was but I wasn't really going anywhere.  Her reply of course was that I needed to come to her parish and meet the priest, Father Gabriel, who would certainly speak with me and don't worry, he's very approachable. I don't remember exactly what I said next but I think I just nodded and agreed and that was the end of it. 

Or rather, the beginning of it.

Next post, Fr. Gabriel.




No comments: